[MPlayer-users] Re: 3pass audio sync problem

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Jul 1 23:27:20 CEST 2003

Linards Ticmanis wrote:
> The speaking just sounds a bit more breathless that way, and also there
> is the over-eagerness of movements you mention. To get the frequency
> difference as such you'd probably need "absolute hearing", which some
> great composers reputedly had, but I certainly don't. Also I heard
> sometimes a method is used which speeds the sound up without a frequency
> shift, like the "sox" stretch effect does. The one thing where absolute
> frequencies are important is the higher freqencies in vowels (fermants)
> as far as I know, since those determine which vowel we hear. But 4% is
> not enough to really make a big difference in this so many times the
> sound is obviously just pitched up.

That's really interesting. I wouldn't have thought one could notice a
speed up of 4%. Now, I'll have to try it (using MPlayer, of course) and
see what it feels like. Next, we'll be hearing from someone who can tell
the difference between the original 24 fps film and the telecined
version at 23.976. :)

Jonathan Rogers