[MPlayer-users] Bugreport: -nosound ignored by mencoder

Clemens Wächter clemenswaechter at web.de
Fri Jan 31 15:10:24 CET 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 02:29:11 +0100
Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:

> DOCS/bugreports.html] Hi,
>
> > AVI file format detected.
> > AVI_NI: No audio stream found -> no sound.
> hmm

Seems to be normal. Doesn't cause trouble for me anyway. Have that
all the time.

> > This demuxer doesn't support -nosound yet.
> !!!!!!

Well sure. But imho my point still remains valid. If you get the error
first you think about everything else but the frameno demuxers
incapability to demux with -nosound.
You see, first I didn't even notice that line, just the one on the bottom
saying that it wants a -oac or -nosound. You feel somehow fooled because
you gave the -nosound option. Then maybe you notice the line above and
first think about a misbehaviour in the video demuxer.

Sure, its perfectly clear to see that the demuxer which demuxes frameno.avi
is incapable of coping with -nosound so far, but the accompanying error is
not meaningful. It should be placed to the top where frameno.avi is opened
or moved down to the real error message. (To clearify this: I mean to teh
one which is separated by a empty line). If you don't know why and how its
difficult to point out what went wrong. Hope you got my point.

Anyways -nosound should mean to forget all the sound handling, imho. So
getting a sound related errormessage (which, unfortunately, is not really
meaningful if you don't know how the stuff works) is quite strange, don't
you think so, too?