[MPlayer-users] encoding realtime from tv-in to mpeg2

Graeme Christie graemec at telstra.net
Fri Jan 31 03:41:17 CET 2003

Ben Buxton wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>Alessio Sangalli <alesan at manoweb.com> uttered the following thing:
>

>>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>>Hi. Is it possible to encode in mpeg2 with mencoder? If yes, is it
>>possible to encode realtime with a medium-powered processor (let's say
>>duron 1.3GHz) and directly from a bt848 tv card?
>>

>mpeg2? i'm not sure..
>
>but I can encode directly to divx (mpeg4) from a bt848 card
>without drops on an Athlon 650. This includes audio.
>
>This is my command line:
>
>/usr/bin/mencoder -tv on:driver=v4l:width=400:height=300:buffersize=96 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=600 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=64 -vop pp=lb -o output.avi

    You are encoding at 400x300 resolution here, which is a bit sub par
(At least it is for me on my 80cm Television, very grainy). The
bt878/848 cards handle resolutions up to 768x576. My Duron 1100 *almost*
handles mpeg4 encoding at this res but uses about 100% cpu. That's
without the vhq lavc switch. I have been using nupplevideo
(http://frost.htu.tuwien.ac.at/~roman/nuppelvideo/)  to encode to MJPEG,
which only uses about 50% cpu (but about 150 MB a minute disk space)
and then 2 pass re-encoding (and deinterlacing) to Mpeg4 with much
better results. You could also use mjpegtools
(http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/) to re-encode to from nupplevideo to mpeg
1/2.

Cheers,

Graeme