[MPlayer-users] The future of mplayer

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Jan 29 13:09:59 CET 2003

Hi,

> had good points but neither of you cared about it. Both just
> concentrated on insulting each other... And yes, I think Gabucino really
> _was_ flaming there.
uhh. really? unbelievable!

> First of all, the debian guys were right. Your program is not really
> distributable in binary form. First of all it should be possible to
> easily add new codecs to program without recompiling it. Maybe you
> should develop some good interface between the player and the codec
> modules? It doesn't work this way. And the same thing in different
> output drivers, you should be able to change them without recompiling...
it's doable but is experimental code and disabled by default

> And then mencoder... Can't you just make two separate programs, mencoder
> and mplayer? I see no relation between these two (than the same codebase

rotfl
90% of the code is _COMMON_.
demuxers, codecs, config parsers, core etc.
only difference is that input+libao2+libvo are mplayer only, and
muxer+encoders are mencoder only. all teh rest is common and used by both.

> maybe) and in my opinion transcode is closer to the way I would like to
why?

> see it done. Now this whole mplayer/mencoder package is some strange
> hybrid.
why?

> Third thing is that you have to cut off some features, it just can't go
> on like this. For example mplayer is now in release candidate mode and
> still you guys are putting in some new features. Every coder should know
> that when a program is in bugfixing mode implementing of new features
> should be minimal.

We put in features only if they are independent of the rest of the code,
ie they add new modules to the libs (new codec, new filter etc).

> You should clean the code now, make it more modular and think what
> people _really_ need. They need a good media player alright and you have
> succeeded better than others, still your usability just sucks. I
:)

> Hmm, now I have to maybe try to tune my mplayer again because after
> updating to rc3 I got my radeon xvidix driver broken. In rc2 xvidix
what about sending bugreports?

> driver was more or less not usable because of the flickering in
you should rtfm... -double

> subtitles etc. You know, these things are frustrating no matter how
> advanced you are...

no, not RTFMing IS frustrating.

> Now you have to understand that I have told you only about bad things of
> mplayer in this mail. There are lots of good features and I really like
> this software. (why would I have used it for a year otherwise?-) But
> don't be so naïve and lose time in arguing. You have a nice software now
> and I think you really should concentrate on usability problems instead
> of new features. MPlayer already has enough features, that should not be
> a problem.

I always hated UI coding.

> R.S.V.P.

hmm?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

    "However, many people beg for its inclusion in Debian. Why?" - Gabucino
  "Because having new software in Debian is good." - Josselin Mouette
"Because having good software in Debian is new." - Gabucino