[MPlayer-users] AC3 (via S/PDIF) passthrough on BSD

Connxion UK magnia at europeonline.com
Wed Jan 29 03:05:40 CET 2003

Hi,

I have myself a FreeBSD system which I would very much like to setup as a dedicated DVD player for my projector. What I really need is some clear advice, and I would be extremely grateful if someone could answer a few of my questions.

What is the best video output method to use? what will get me the best picture quality?

Is it possible to do AC3 passthrough (using hwac3) on FreeBSD? i have a CMI8738 based card with optical/coaxial S/PDIF out. I really dont want to use linux, but that seems to be the only way I can run ALSA!

One more thing, can I grab TV from a Brooktree 878 on FreeBSD?

TIA,
Jon