[MPlayer-users] mplayer -xxx help

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jan 28 22:58:11 CET 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 12:44:18AM +0300, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Hi Jonas Jermann!
>
>  On 2003.01.27 at 21:43:08 +0100, Jonas Jermann wrote next:
>
> > > I can't write descriptions to
> > > -af help
> > > There is no subcommands array for "af", or I can't find it. Plugin names
> > > are scattered through libaf/af_*
> > > -sws help
> > > -sws accepts only interger values
> >
> > Why not change the option help to accept options as parameters
> > (e.g. -help autosync/whatever)?
>
> Hm... That isn't too good - now "help" is just suboption for -cdda, for
> example, and it's defined in cdda module. Help for cdda and some other
> can be defined as suboption to -help option, but I really don't know
> what to do with -vop help, for example. It will be really bad if half
> options will go as "-xxx help", and half as "-help yyy". And I don't
> want to break current -vop help, for example.
> The only compromise I see is to make -xxx help style where possible, and
> to make -yyyhelp options for other cases. That will be -pphelp,
> -swshelp and -afhelp for now. Any better ideas?

IMHO this whole -xxx help business is nonsense. It's already hard
enough to keep the man page up-to-date. I don't want yet ANOTHER thing
I have to update when adding new features or fixing bugs. Also it will
bloat the binary size even more and require more translation effort!

The solution is quite simple...just like with all programs, if you
need help, type man mplayer!

Rich