[MPlayer-users] fbdev fix for the fbdev/playlist problem

Roberto De Leo deleo at unica.it
Tue Jan 28 21:05:00 CET 2003

Hi,
several people, including me, noticed lately that mplayer crashes after
playing the first file when trying to play playlists with the "-vo
fbdev" option.

After a few tests I think I found a possible fix for this problem [at
least it works on my PC], so I am including here a patch for the last
stable release 0.90rc3 in case some of you wants to try it and I will
send a patch to the developers ML  patched against the more recent cvs
version.

BTW, I couldn't find this fact in the MPlayer DOCS so it may be worth to
cite here the fact that to avoid positioning problems with the fbdev
driver it is enough to redirect STDIN and STDOUT to some file or
anywhere except the screen.
So the best way to play a playlist with fbdev without hassles would be

mplayer -vo fbdev -fs -playlist my_playlist > /dev/null 2>&1

Hope this helps,
  Roberto De Leo