[MPlayer-users] mencoder/mplayer kbit question

Mihai RUSU dizzy at roedu.net
Sat Jan 25 17:57:16 CET 2003

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:

> MR>Video stream:  929.329 kbit/s  (116166 bps)  size: 636066659 bytes
> MR>5475.494 secs  131287 frames
> MR>
> MR>But 116166 / 929.329 =~ 124
>
> Hmm ;) 929.329*1000/8=116166 (*1000 kbit/s->bit/s conversion - note it
> isn't 1024 due to obvious reasons, and /8 is bit->byte conversion)

Thanks for all the answers (it was stupid of be to think bps is bits per
second).

Now on the second problem I did some more tests. It happens too with the
lavc codec. So using xvid or lavc if I specify bitrate of 1000 (which from
the docs means kBit/s) with 2 pass encoding it encodes it with ~800 kbit
(~ 100000 bps). Now for example when encoding in 3 steps, I take the
bitrate hint from the end of frameno pass and I multiply it with 1.25 and
use that value for the codec. It seems a constant raport with my tests, am
I again wrong here ? :)

Mihai RUSU

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented within this e-mail are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of any company,
unless otherwise specifically stated.