[MPlayer-users] Re: yuv4mpeg and scaling

Michael Lehmeier m_lehmeier at gmx.de
Fri Jan 24 19:41:53 CET 2003

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:25:10 +0100
From: Tobias Diedrich <ranma at gmx.at>
> Michael Lehmeier wrote:
>
> > mplayer -vop expand=3D460:576:16:8,scale=3D448:560 -vo x11 -ao null -sws 9
> > orig.mpg
> >=20
> > However, this does not work when I use yuv4mpeg. It scales straight to
> > 460:576, without black bars. I guess this is because yuv4mpeg uses
> > hardware scaling.
>
> Hmm, works over here. yuv4mpeg doesn't use hardware scaleing, in any
> case... (Tried with stream.yuv fifo and yuvplay)
>
> Personally, I usually add 16pixels to every border
> (expand=3D480:576:16:16,scale=3D448:544).

Stupid mistake on my part. I typed 460 instead of 480. A leftover from
an earlier calculation.
I didn't notice the mistake because the x11 window is a little larger
than the video and so I thought it had added the correct black bars. Of
course the didn't show up in yuvplay.

So, problem solved. Thank you.

> Also, I'd suggest you to use -nosound -benchmark instead of -ao null...
> (No need to decode sound if you don't output it and benchmark so mplayer
> doesn't try to be realtime...)

I wasn't aware that it decodes audio with -ao null.
And the -benchmark option is a good tip although by reading the man page
I don't understand why it should do that realtime thing...