[MPlayer-users] Fonts .. OSD Fine/Subtitles garbled

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jan 24 18:21:40 CET 2003

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 05:20:40PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > DVD subtitles? They're bitmaps and unrelated to fonts.
> >
> > However, if you want to make them look better, try getting latest CVS
> > (I just committed this feature) and use -spuaa 20. If you have success
> > with it, please tell us!
>
> just tried. eh.
> it makes the text very blurry but leaves the alpha 1bpp so it looks ugly.

You can adjust the blur with -spugauss. Default 1.0 is fairly high;
perhaps 0.75 would be a better default. BTW it's also supposed to blur
the alpha mask, so if that's not working, something's broken in my
code... Everything looked very nice with the subs I tested, but I have
a DVD stuck in the drive encoding right now so I can't test other
ones.

> imho it would be better to do 2xsai-like scaling of text part, drop alpha,
> and regenerate alpha using the same code as for ascii fonts (outline+gauss)

2xSaI is for upscaling only; the common case with spu subtitles is
downscaling. And it still leaves the images with very sharp pixelated
borders (which are horrible for encoding and for hardware scaling).

In any case, I think it's desirable to be able to use the sws scalers
for subpics. Probably in the long term options to use different -sws
(other than gauss) should be available.

Rich