[MPlayer-users] Comment on menconder on multiprocessors.

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Fri Jan 24 17:24:58 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 17:19, Jean-Marc Stévenne wrote:
> On Friday 24 January 2003 17:14, Arpi wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > It needs them all ?
> >
> > of course.
> >
> > otherwise it wouldn't be done in 2/3 passes but in one...
> >

> > A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team
>
> Thanks, A'rpi
>
> I was wondering if there was a fundamental reason for not combinning pass1 and
> 2. Apparently there is one.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what kind of global consolidation is done with the data
> collected by pass=1?

a very non formal and probably not 100% correct answer:
in pass 1, for every frame mencoder saves the complexity of the frame..

in pass2 :
	-more complex frames can be less compressed => for a complicated frame
you need to use/reserve more space...
	-so when the 2nd pass launches mencoder knows how much space does he
have, and then he distributes the free space between the frames
according to their complexity...
	-as you see at the beginning of pass2 mencoder has to see the
complexity for all the frames to be able to make the calculation

hope this helps,
gabor