[MPlayer-users] Fonts .. OSD Fine/Subtitles garbled

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jan 24 15:51:16 CET 2003

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 11:55:50AM +0100, Patrick.Debois wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 09:51:26AM +0100, Patrick Debois wrote:
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > i've downloaded the fonts font-arial-iso-8859-1.tar
> > > unzipped them in my mplayer/share/fonts as described in the manual
> > >
> > > OSD works fine and gives nice antialiased fonts.
> > >
> > > But subtitles are NOT antialiased it seems.
> >
> > DVD subtitles? They're bitmaps and unrelated to fonts.
> >
> > However, if you want to make them look better, try getting latest CVS
> > (I just committed this feature) and use -spuaa 20. If you have success
> > with it, please tell us!
>
> Yup, it's working. Thanks!
> You're remark about ripping is indeed logically.
>
> Can i conclude that subtitles can never be in a plain text file when
> ripped because they are bitmaps? I read something about using GOCR but i'm
> not sure.

There's a program in TOOLS that will use GOCR to try to convert
subtitles to text, but it's not perfect. If you run through a spell
checker afterwards and manually fix up the mistakes it might be ok,
though. Also you can just use the timings from the extracted vobsubs
and make your own text subs; this is particularly a good idea for
certain anime where the grammar in the subs is really bad... ;))

Rich