[MPlayer-users] Re: 2 different problems - flicker & speed (long)

tdc tdc at phreaker.net
Wed Jan 22 22:24:15 CET 2003

>>/ versions of mplayer and I'm still unable to get it work the 'old' way.
/>/> OTOH it looks the new mplayer now uses less average CPU when decoding:
/>/> <50% total.
/>
> Sounds like you compiled your kernel without support for
> mmx/sse/whatever. Are you sure you selected the right cpu type in
> menuconfig?

On this machine, everythong is ok except those dead-frames. And even i
thought any speedup is already not possible, the new mplayer made it.
This is not the problem.
The kernel is ok.. on such a machine (PII/350MHz) you can't find much
more than simple MMX & MTRR (both enabled). Again, I don't complain
to *speed* here, only to those missing(?) frames (or 'black' ones added)

>>/ Second (and for me now more painful) problem is more generic. I obtained
/>/> a 700 MHz Duron (my first AMD machine ever) to be used as player instead
/>/> of the PII/350. There was some crappy nVidia card (TNT2 32MB AGP), which
/>/> I've replaced it with the 8MB PCI Mach64 card (almost same as above,
/>/> only this is PCI version as si don't have spare AGP one). What was my
/>/> surprise the playback was waaaay to slow for such a machine. Even
/>
> Of course it's slow!! PCI is super slow. If you want to play movies
> you really want an AGP card.

I don't think so. The compare with other systems and to the *same* system
with AGP TNT2 was not there without purpose. I know even writing to VGA
thru VESA is *extremelly* slow, but still without any acceleration, decoding
on PII/350 and writing this thru VESA call to AGP card was MUCH faster than
the same thing made on 700MHz Duron.
And about PCI speed: AFAIK 32bit, 33MHz PCI is able to transfer around 133MB/s.
If I'll use previous video info (704x384, 24bpp, 25.00 fps), it means the
amount of data written to the card is about 19.3MB/s (even if it's written as
32bpp instead of 24bpp, it's still only 25.8MB/s), which is far under possible
peak. To make it even shorter - on Intel based machine (similiar to the specs
of the PII/350 machine stated above) I've used this card for playback without
problem and even with higher resolutions. That's why I hoped it will do it's
job in Duron too.

To prevent similiar questions like the previous - kernel is built with correct
CPU selected, MTRR enabled (and set up correctly), MPlayer was compiled with
MMX, MMX2, 3DNow and 3DNowEx support (autodetected). The rest (except time of
MPlayer checkout from CVS) is exactly the same as on the PII/350 machine.

Any other ideas?
TIA, Dave