[MPlayer-users] Fullscreen with Metacity 2.4.13 and Gnome2 panel (FIX)

Filip Kaliński filon at pld.org.pl
Wed Jan 22 11:07:16 CET 2003

On day Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 09:12:56AM +0100, Arjan Opmeer wrote what follows:
> Hi,
>
> When using MPlayer-0.90rc3 and Metacity 2.4.13 toggling to fullscreen
> doesn't raise the MPlayer window above the Gnome2 top panel.
>
> This is caused by MPlayer trying to raise the window to the top by using
> state _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE. This is not sufficient for the Gnome2 top panel.
> It does however raise the window above the bottom panel.
>
> I've been doing some hacking in libvo/x11_common.c and basically commented
> out every line that mentions metacity_hack. Also I commented out the "if
> (net_wm_support & SUPPORT_ABOVE)" clause in vo_x11_setlayer to force MPlayer
> to try to use the other states.
>
> It now can succesfully raise the MPlayer window above all the Gnome2 panels
> by using the _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN state. It appears that Metacity 2.4.13
> adheres to the stacking order as desribed here:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec/1.3/html/x362.html#STACKINGORDER
>
> I hope you will find this information useful and will be able to include it
> in a next version of MPlayer. For questions or remarks, please CC me as I am
> not subscribed to this list.

FULLSCREEN shouldn't be default state to be used for fullscreen switching,
because it doesn't allow gui window (the skinned one) to appear above
video fullscreen window. Actually FULLSCREEN was default one some time ago,
but I have changed it to fix and issue with gmplayer...

And if you comment out "metacity hack" it will not work fine with older
metacity (from gnome 2.0, for example the one included in rh 8.0).

So both solutions (using FULLSCREEN and ABOVE) are not ideal, I don't know
which one is better :-(

--
Filip Kaliński <filon at pld.org.pl>