[MPlayer-users] scaling and resizing for -vo

Luis.F.Correia Luis.F.Correia at seg-social.pt
Mon Jan 20 23:14:54 CET 2003

I have a small question that will take some time to explain:

mplayer playing a divx movie using -vo dxr3.

I have been told that the optimal resolution for the DXR3
is 720x576 (PAL).

Let's imagine I have a Divx movie that was resized to
640x272. This aspect ratio is (if i'm not mistaked) 2.35:1
which is normal for widescreen cinema movies.

Mplayer does a small scale job which cuts out the movie. It looks
good but I would like to have it in another way, no scale and only
display it bit-by-bit.

I cannot explain this better without a sketch.

		720 pixels horizontal
    |                                                   |
    |                                                   |
    |                                                   |
    |                                                   |
    |        +---------------------------------+        | 576
    |        |                                 |        | vertical
    |        |      movie displayed inside     |        |
    |        |      the optimal viewable area  |        |
    |        |    of the DXR3 with no extra    |        |
    |        |    scaling or processing        |        |
    |        |                                 |        |
    |        +---------------------------------+        |
    |                                                   |
    |        Subtitles could go here without having     |
    |        to worry about shading / alpha blending    |

This could of course be possible to do for every -vo device.
I think that DGA works this way, but I'm not sure...

I really hope that this is possible.
If it is, (and i have spent some time RTFM'ing) how should I do it?

Thanks for a GREAT player. Far better then xine or other crappy
players out there!

Luis Correia

PGP Fingerprint: BC44 D7DA 5A17 F92A CA21 9ABE DFF0 3540 2322 21F6
Key Server: http://pgp.mit.edu