[MPlayer-users] newbie question about libavcodec

Pierric Descamps pierric at descamps.net
Mon Jan 20 19:35:34 CET 2003

Hello,

As far as I have understood, libavcodec encoding has better quality and speed.
I'll assume this is true as the doc states it quite clearly :-)

But there's something I don't get: when you encode with libavcodec, what codec
are you actually encoding with? I mean: if you gave the resulting movie to
some lambda windows user (ie. my father...), what codec would he have to
install in order to watch the movie properly? I'm sorry if this is a silly
question, but I'm always worrying about the compatibility of my movies...

Thanks in advance for your explanations,
Pierric.

Pierric DESCAMPS                      ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._
E-Mail    :   pierric at descamps.net     `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)
Web-Site  :   http://descamps.net      (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'
Jabber-ID :   pierric at tipic.com      _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'