[MPlayer-users] Playing DVD with hwac3: very low framerate

Marc Packenius marc at freenet-rz.de
Mon Jan 20 12:39:36 CET 2003

Ketil Z Malde <ketil at ii.uib.no> writes:

[SB Live!]
> Guess I'll try the alsa9 drivers.

Don't laugh at me know, but I'm currently using both driver sets, OSS
and ALSA ("country *and* western"). The OSS drivers won't let me use
MPlayer, but the ALSA driver won't let me use the tools needed to set up
the soundcard.

When booting, I load the OSS drivers, use emu-config and emu-dspmgr to
switch SPDIF-out to digital and to load the DSP code needed to
pass-through AC3, then I unload the OSS drivers and finally I load the
ALSA drivers to play audio.

[rant]

Before I started buying hardware for my "cheapo self-made set-top box",
I actually asked around what hardware would have the best Linux support.
I tried to buy stuff ensuring that I wouldn't run into trouble. Now my
G400 (excellent Linux support!) turned out to be a 'late revision' (aka
G450, Linux TVout support barely working); since I don't have hardware
support for scaling or colorspace conversion, the 1GHz CPU (which
should've been plenty fast even for large DivX movies) seems too slow
now; the drivers for my DVB (sat TV) card are very much under
development ("let's try to find an application that works with today's
CVS-code"); and finally add the multi-driver-using sound card.

Finally? Well, I'm not done building the box, so there's probably more
frustration waiting for me in the near future.

[/rant - thanks for your patience and tolerance]

Right now, mplayer is the "glue" that keeps all that hardly-working
hardware together.

Thanks for that, :)
--
Marc Packenius @ 4P | Zentrale Seitenauslieferung, Düsseldorf

Ich gehöre zu den coolen Leuten auf dieser Welt.
 	-- Rainer Nagel