[MPlayer-users] xvid problems with 20030117

Pierric Descamps pierric at descamps.net
Sun Jan 19 17:25:42 CET 2003

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 14:18:00 +0100
Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:
Hi again,

> > Now I thought I would be happy with that CVS version. But soon I noticed
that> > it could only play the XVid Movies. For Divx4/Divx5 Movies, I only get
a black> > (correctly sized) window, the sound being correct. For some movies
it even> > crashes after a quarter of a second, with the message "MPlayer
interrupted by> > signal 11 in module: decode_video". This wasn't the case
with 0.90rc2. So I> > had to recompile without XVid, which is a shame :-( I
actually have to> > recompile  each time I want to watch a movie with one or
the other codec,> > although I could of course spare me the compilation
process and just make> > install in 2 different directories)

> > Do you know why it is so? Did I miss something? Do you want me to try that
> > "debug+backtrace" stuff?
> yes

Done. I followed the instuctions of bugreport.html and included the gdb output
in the attached text file "crash_ouput". But remember that the crash only
happens in certain cases, the most common being the black window. In case you
need the info, I used 20021218 for this crash (see below if you find it
strange that it is 20021218)

> and you should try to find the exact day when cvs became broken.
> (by trying cvs snapshots, in binary search it shouldn't be more than 6
tries)

I'm confused. I got back to as far as 20021201, and all versions I tried are
broken. As far as I know, 0.90rc2 came out for Christmas, so it should more or
less be equivalent to 20021224 I thought maybe something had changed on my
system which I hadn't noticed or considered important. So I extracted the
sources of 0.90rc2 again, in a different place, and tried the same configure
line as always, which by the way is :./configure --enable-largefiles
--enable-lirc --enable-gui --enable-tv --enable-tv-v4l --enable-real
--enable-ossaudio And with a clean 0.90rc2, it still DOES work. Only the CVSes
crash.

> btw why don't you use libavcodec for xvid ad divx 3/4/5 playback?

Hmmm... I don't know. :-) I think last time I tried to use lavc, it was
necessary to download it from another place, and I got problems integrating it
to the mplayer tree. Something like that. Since then, I got used to the
official DivX codecs, and very recently, to XViD. Does lavc have something
more than xvid or a divx5 codec for playback? Do you think there would be a
chance that it doesn't crash with it? If yes, then I'll try it, but I don't
know when I will be able to find the time :-(

Thank you for having answered so promptly!

Pierric.

Pierric DESCAMPS                      ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._
E-Mail    :   pierric at descamps.net     `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)
Web-Site  :   http://descamps.net      (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'
Jabber-ID :   pierric at tipic.com      _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'
 "The pen is mightier than the sword."
 Yes, but only if the sword is very small and the pen is very sharp.
 				-- Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic