[MPlayer-users] MPlayer hangs and 'beeps' when playing MPEGs

Marc Packenius marc at freenet-rz.de
Sun Jan 19 15:05:46 CET 2003

Marc Packenius <marc at freenet-rz.de> writes:

> The symptoms:

> - video freezes

> - audio plays high-pitched beep tone (maybe 8-12kHz, not sinus, more
>   like sawtooth)

> - status output in shell window stops, there is no error message
>   whatsoever

> - pressing a key in the mplayer shell window will resume playing
>   without any problem, I usually simply use cursor-left to skip back a
>   couple of frames; when running mplayer locally, even pressing the
>   shift key will be enough to recover; I've seen it recover without
>   interaction after waiting two or three minutes

The common element between all failures was a faulty network cable.
MPlayer simply is the only application I use that doesn't recover
gracefully from the short outages when retries occur (even when using
-cache).

So please accept my apology for falling into the 'accusing software of
hardware problems' trap.

Blushing,
--
Marc Packenius @ 4P | Zentrale Seitenauslieferung, Düsseldorf

My girlfriend always laughs during sex -- no matter what she's reading.
 	-- Emo Philips