[MPlayer-users] deinterlacer performance?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jan 16 15:44:23 CET 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 11:24:45AM +0100, Moritz Bunkus wrote:
> Hi.
>
> While testint A'rpi's DVD a/v synch patch I noticed that deinterlacing
> kicks my processor to its limits. Therefore I'd like to know if this is
> normal (well NO I won't file a complete bugreport - I'm not even
> remotely sure that it is a bug at all...).
>
> My system is a Celeron 733 MHz, Matrox MGA400 with -vo xmga,
> SoundBlaster don'taskmethecorrectmodel with -ao oss and the kernel's
> emu10k1. It can play everything back normally without reaching 100% CPU
> usage. (oh, mplayer is CVS from 10:00 CET)

MGA can do deinterlacing in hardware according to the docs, but it's
not implemented in mga_vid driver right now. I might work on adding
support for it sometime, especially if anyone else is interested. This
would of course mean realtime deinterlacing with no cpu cost, but I
think it might make triple buffering difficult or impossible (=>
shearing) so I'm not sure if it's worthwhile.

Rich