[MPlayer-users] can't play file: Too many ... audio packets

Jurriaan thunder7 at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 15 21:37:10 CET 2003

From: Giovanni Fassina <fassinagio at interfree.it>
Date: Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 09:03:54PM +0100
> I observed that problem mainly with DVD in the extras section, but with
> certain audio tracks. For example: with audio id=1 (italian for example)
> I have problems... but with audio id=0 (english) mplayer works well.
> The strange thing is that when I had the problem and switch back to the
> original id=0 audio track the problem persists... while before mplayer
> worked well.....
>
> On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 07:36, Jurriaan wrote:
> > I have a file that won't play in MPlayer-0.90rc2.
> > The CVS-snapshot of 13-1-2002 didn't compile here.
> >
> > The error message is:
> >
> > DEMUXER: Too many (3659 in 8390087 bytes) audio packets in the buffer!
> >
> > I've checked the FAQ (nothing on this), the archives (tested -ni, -ao
> > oss, -mc 0, -idx, -bps - all to no effect).
> >
> > Then I set out to create a small file to upload into the incoming/
> > directory, but it turned out I needed at least 90 megabytes to get this
> > effect - the first 80 megabytes or so are a still-frame with the logo of
> > the hollywood company, I think.
> >
> > DEMUXER: Too many (3659 in 8390087 bytes) audio packets in the buffer!
> > Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
> > For .AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
> > ds_fill_buffer: EOF reached (stream: video)

Solved:

dd if=movie.bin of=movie_good.bin bs=1024k skip=2

junked the first 2 megabytes of the movie and it now plays perfectly. I
don't get the still frame with the logo anymore, but I don't miss that.
This may be a new FAQ item, as you like.

Good luck,
Jurriaan
--
Hawk thought for a moment. "Is this a volunteer situation?"
"Yes," said Dubois. "I volunteered you. Given the alternatives, I wouldn't