[MPlayer-users] mencoder: "duplicate 1 frame(s)!!!"?

ras2 shrike at get2net.dk
Tue Jan 14 20:18:22 CET 2003

On 2003-01-14 at 13:00:05 -0500, D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 04:57:47PM +0100, Stefan Recksiegel wrote:
> >
> > I am surprised that it happens with captured data, but I think with
> > movies that went through a telecine process this is quite normal,
> > isn't it ? I have always seen this when compressing movie DVDs to
> > divx, never gave me any problems, though. Are you sure those frames
> > don't come as duplicates from the source ?
>
> My guess is that they are duplicate frames from the source, like you
> say. Be sure that the fps=blah suboption to -tv is set correctly.

hm. That option isn't mentioned in the man page (mencoder does accept it,
though).

> If I recall, you never mentioned which TV capture card you're using,

It's a Pinnacle PCTV Rave from 2002 (bt878, mt2032 tuner). Cheap, old
tech.

> but I bet some of them only capture at the real framerate (29.97 fps for
> NTSC, 25 for PAL), and the default is 30 fps, so some frames will fail
> to capture because there's no new video yet. So try with -tv fps=29.97
> and let me know if it works.

We're using PAL here, so I tried with fps=25, but it doesn't help much,
if at all.

I'm beginning to wonder if kernel 2.4.20 has some sort of bug that
causes wrong timings or something. I only had the card for a couple
of days before I upgraded to 2.4.20 (from 2.4.18-jp6), so I can't
really compare them, except that some long bits of Aliens I captured
with the crappy software that comes with the Pinnacle didn't have
any skips or jumps or anything (so it seems likely that the card is
okay).

-R.