[MPlayer-users] mencoder options for NTSC television

Eduard Hein ehein at TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Tue Jan 14 17:58:34 CET 2003

Hi.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:20:58AM -0600, Lance Simmons wrote:
> 2. vbitrate:  higher is better, right?  How do I decide what vbitrate to
> use?  I've been using 16000, and the results look good.  What's the
> benefit of going lower?

Lowering the bitrate results in smaller files. 1800 kbit for 768x576 is
fine for me (no artifacts), for videos with smaller dimensions

> 3. postprocessing:  what kind of postprocessing is best?  How do I
> decide whether to crop or not?  Where in the documentation is there a
> clear description of what the various postprocessing options do?  I'm
> using lb, because the documentation suggests it, but am open to
> suggestions.

Didn't find any in the documentation, too. But in the file
postprocess.c there is a list of filters with short description. You
find it in the mplayer-sources.

> Right now, I'm using:
>
> mencoder
>  -tv on:driver=v4l:chanlist=us-cable:norm=NTSC:width=576:height=384
>  -ovc lavc
>  -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=16000
>  -oac mp3lame
>  -lameopts br=128
>  -vop pp=lb
>  -o test.avi

br=128 has no effect unless you specify cbr or abr. For capturing try
qscale=2 instead of vbitrate. This results in bigger files, but you
won't loose quality when reencoding the avi.

Cya, Ed

--

In what distant deeps or skies           AAh! megamisama...
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
     Tarrychk                            Reply-To: tyger at gmx.net