[MPlayer-users] Video Stutterrring

Kevin L. Collins kcollins at qx.net
Tue Jan 14 01:18:57 CET 2003

Hi All,

I've got a Red Hat 8.0 machine running mplayer 0.90.

My systes specs:
ASUS A7V333 motherboard
AMD XP 2200+
512 PC2700 RAM
16x LG DVD
32x CDRW
ATI Radeon All in Wonder 8500DV
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy
Red Hat 8.0 - up2dated as of 1/10
mplayer 0.90 from FreshRPMs

I just installed the latest drivers for the Radeon - 4.2.0-2.5.1 - and
everything is working fine except for one thing: Playing DVDs.  Either
the video stutters or the audio is running ahead of the video and the
video still stutters.

I'm 90% certain this is something to do with DVD drive or the setup of
such.  I say this because when the "stuttering" occurs, the DVD drive
has just been accessed. and it doesn't get hit again until the next
stutter.

Playing movies from the hard drive is TOTALLY cool - no problems.

I've enabled "double buffer" and "caching" (up to 8192) in mplayer, I've
check hdparm and DMA is enabled all my IDE devices.

One other thing that might have an impact is that I have ide-scsi
emulation only on the CDRW - which is on the same IDE cable as the DVD.
I don't known if this is important or not, but I just thought I would
mention it.

Is there anything I can to get rid of the stutter??

Kevin L. Collins