[MPlayer-users] making simple movies

Sun Jan 12 16:14:35 CET 2003

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Arpi wrote:

A>> Btw, look at transcode. It's very good (still command line only, sigh)
A>> encoder, which supports lot of encoding formats (mencoder is still stuck
A>> with, for example, mpeg2) and options. I don't like its interface
A>
A>what's the problem with mpeg2 in mencoder?

oops.. Am i missing something? Some time ago i tried to encode mpeg2,
but there seems to be no such output format, at least in rc2.

-ovc help reveals
   copy     - frame copy, without re-encoding. doesn't work with filters!
   frameno  - special audio-only file for 3-pass encoding, see DOCS!
   rawrgb   - uncompressed RGB 24bpp video
   divx4    - using divx4linux/divx5linux or xvid (depends on configuration)
   lavc     - using libavcodec codecs - best quality!
   vfw      - using VfW DLLs, currently only AVID is supported
   qtvideo  - using Quickime DLLs, currently only SVQ1/3 are supported
   libdv    - DV encoding using libdv v0.9.5

lavc can't encode to mpeg2, as i understand.
I have to use transcode in such case, it can encode to mpeg2 itself or
run as frontend to mpeg2enc.

--

Vladimir