[MPlayer-users] Interleaved black lines when playing at double or full-screen size

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky jeff.kosowsky at verizon.net
Sun Jan 12 00:57:36 CET 2003

Mplayer displays videos perfectly sharp when playing AVI files or DVDs at
normal size.

When I try to play at double-screen size or full-screen size
(1280x1024), the picture doesn't seem to scale properly. Looking
closely at the screen, it seems that instead of properly scaling the
picture, 1 pixel thin horizontal black lines are interleaved between
every few original image lines in a regular pattern. It looks
somewhat like this (where even between the closest-spaced black lines, there
are perhap 5 or 6 normal image lines)

------------------------------------
------------------------------------
------------------------------------
------------------------------------

------------------------------------
------------------------------------
------------------------------------
------------------------------------

------------------------------------
------------------------------------
------------------------------------
------------------------------------

------------------------------------
------------------------------------
------------------------------------
------------------------------------

The effect is worse at full-screen than at double-screen. The result
is that the picture looks very jagged and blurry and thus is almost
impossible to view.

Also, interestingly, once I am in fullscreen, I can't seem to go back
to normal-screen or to double-screen.

I have tried playing with some of the options on the gmplayer menu
e.g. turning on/off interleaving, adjusting cache size, turning on/off
direct rendering, adjusting postprocessing...

I am running RH8.0/Linux2.4.20 on a P4 2.53GHz with 1Gig PC2700 DRAM
and a Leadtek Ultra A250 GF4 (nvidia 4600) graphics card running the
latest nvidia drivers (NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i386.rpm
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.src.rpm)

I am using the following packages downloaded from psyche.freshrpms.net
		mplayer-0.90-fr0rc2.1.i386.rpm
		aalib-1.4rc5-fr1.i386.rpm
		libdvdread-0.9.3-fr2cvs.i386.rpm
		divx4linux-4.0-fr3.20011025.i386.rpm
		lirc-0.6.5-fr3.i386.rpm
		lame-3.92-fr5.i386.rpm
		libdv-0.98-fr2.i386.rpm
		libdvdcss-1.2.4-fr1.i386.rpm

And I have installed the following codecs from the mplayer homepage
download site:
        w32codec.tar.bz2
        rp9codecs.tar.bz2
        qt6dlls.tar.bz2

I have not made any changes to the default config files other than
through the gmplayer preferences menu.

Is this likely to be an mplayer issue? a codec issue? an NVIDIA video
hardware/driver issue? a configuration issue?

Thanks,
Jeff