[MPlayer-users] easy generating unplayable wma files

Sun Jan 12 00:37:48 CET 2003

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Arpi wrote:

A>> I posted some messages before regarding wma file that plays wrong with
A>> different decoders, including ffwma2 and divxa32.acm. My friend just
A>> said that he could generate such files easily. You just need to run
A>> Virtualdub in windows, open any file with wma audio and do
A>> file->save audio as wav (using direct stream copy mode) - and voila.
A>> Resulting file will be unplayable with mplayer.
A>
A>resulting file will be a .wav and not a .wma, but with compressed content.
A>anyway it may be still playable (assuming that vdub correctly copies the
A>audio headers and extensions to the wav file, just like the mp3-in-wav case)
A>
A>maybe upload sample file(s)

The old FLCL_Ending_My.wav is sample file for this case. I (and
everybody else) can make a lot of samples. I tried it myself with
different clips, all resulting wav-with-wma-inside files were
similar and unplayable (wmp plays them well). Headers seem to be
correct, mplayer -identify works and reports right info.

--

Vladimir