[MPlayer-users] DVD-keys and .vobs

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Jan 11 13:37:35 CET 2003

Hi,

> I borrowed a dvd from a friend, which because I didn't have the time to
> watch it right then, I wanted to rip. I didn't have the time to rip it
> right then. I have no idea why I did this, because I actually did know
> that it won't work, but anyhow, I just copied the entire dvd to my
> harddrive (silly, I know). And ofcourse I can't play those .vobs now. I
> do have the dvdkey in ~/.mplayer/DVDKeys/movie, but I can't seem to be
> able to use that one. Is that a correct assumption? I am best of to
> delete those vobs, and just hope it was a bad movie? :)

you should be able to play with
mplayer -dvd X -dvd-device /path/to/the/vobs

in the worst case, extract that key from that 5-byte file in hex, and
recompile mp[layer with libcss (!=libdvdcss) support, and RTFM how to pass
the key manually to mplayer.

and next time use -dumpstream to rip the dvd to hdd...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team