[MPlayer-users] Mplayer and Mandrake Linux

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Fri Jan 10 11:59:59 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 07:48, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Just wanted to inform all of you about Mandrake Linux voting system. The
> > voting system controls wich RPMs that is to be included in the next
> > release of Mandrake Linux.
> >
> > Today Mandrake 9.1 beta was announced and voting has opened for wich
> > RPMs that is to be included, guess what application is topping the list?
> >
> > Yes, that.s right, Mplayer is... :)
>
> I hope they won't follow suse and include a stripped-down (all nice features
> disabled, even asf support removed and so on) unusable version.

depends....

i think they won't include the win32 codecs....
i think they can't

but for things like that there's plf ( plf.zarb.org ),
which is simply a mandrake-rpm-source for programs which are legally
problematic ( hinting-enabled freetype, libdvdcss and so on )

so basically there is a mplayer.rpm in mandrake-cooker and a mplayer.rpm
in plf... the first one has those not-100%-legal parts disabled, the
second one enabled.

gabor