[MPlayer-users] mencoder and -noaspect

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jan 9 17:51:57 CET 2003

Hi,

> Video encoding was neither working with 2 nor with 3 passes. When using the
> -noaspect option it worked perfectly (in 2 passes, did not had time to test
> with 3 passes).
> I suppose that dvd aspect rescalling is not necessary in the case of mencoder
> and that is should always be disable. Am I correct?

i can't imagine how can -noaspect cause or fix this problem
it's not related at all.
it's a framerate problem not an aspect / image size one.

> How can I know that a film is interlaced? Should I see 50fps in the mplayer
> output?
it fails to encode with 3 passes :)

and mplayer's status line has the decoded frame counter going exactly twice
as fast as the display frame counter (xx/yy where yy=2*xx)

> On Thursday 09 January 2003 16:51, Arpi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > search the archives.
> > you cannot do 3-pass encoding for interlaced (50 fields per second instead
> > of 24/25 frames per sec) media
> > you must decode video in the first pass too.
> >
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Using mencoder 0.90pre8, 0.90pre10 or 0.90rc1 I ran in a strange problem
> > > when trying to mencode the 7 Year in Tibet DVD zone 2. I use 3 phases
> > > encoding. The sound was correctly encoded but during the process for
> > > every frame I had a Skip frame!!!
> > > warning.
> > >
> > > On phase 2 (and 3), the Skip frame!!! warnings were of course there again
> > > but this time it affected the resulting video. It looked like one line
> > > out of two were encoded, also the first frame "ghost" seems to remain
> > > forever in the following frames.
> > >
> > > I eventually found a workaround: use -noaspect.
> > > I noticed that the number of frames processed correspond to 50fps instead
> > > of 25 fps (I hope this might give you a clue of the cause), but the
> > > result was very good this time.
> > >
> > > Question: is there any reason not to use -noaspect when mencoding a dvd?

> > A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team