[MPlayer-users] mjpeg and mencoder

Brad Barnett bb at L8R.net
Thu Jan 9 16:18:26 CET 2003

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 16:08:05 +0100
Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:

> DOCS/bugreports.html] Hi,
>
> > > you should either
> > > - capture from DVB (digital TV/sat), they broadcast in ~6mbit/s
> > > mpeg2- capture from analog TV/sat but using some noise removal
> > > filters at
> > >   capturing time, then lossless compression will go better.
> > >
> > > for example -vop pp=dn:c:64:128:256 is a good start, but we
> > > definitly need a better, pre-pixel noise filter, with motion
> > > compensation etc.
> >
> > There doesn't seem to be a lot of noise here.  After all, this is
> > satelite.  Natureally there are mpeg2 artifacts, but they are very
> > minimalistic.
>
> so you have a DVB receiver, and an analog link form it to your PC's
> analog tuner card? shit. you should consider buying a cheap DVB card to
> the pc and record as-is the mpeg2. even a p100 can do that...

Hmm.  How's this work, btw.  There is only one output on the back that I
am unsure of the use for, and it's labelled "accessory".  Its definitely
not coaxial, but I suppose an adapter could make it so.

I can't see how it could just take the analog output and slap it onto the
hard drive as mpeg2 without re-encoding.  So what gives?  Please enlighten
;)

> > > you shouldn't capture at 640x480...
> > > and for any Y res >288 you should do deinterlacing too.
> >
> > Why shouldn't I capture at 640x480?  I don't want to deinterlace, btw,
> ok you should, _if_ you capture NTSC, and not PAL.
>
> > these movies are to be played on a TV...
> >
> > I want the interlaced signal.
> then forget ffmpeg's mjpeg, use ffmpeg's mpeg4 with I-only (keyint=0,
> shouldn't be slower than mjpeg but it supports interlacing)

I do seem to be able to record 640x480 using keyint=0.  I'll have to look
into this more, play around, etc.

Thanks.