[MPlayer-users] Re: Hardware question

Tobias Diedrich ranma at gmx.at
Thu Jan 9 09:09:20 CET 2003

Daniel Callahan wrote:

> I'm looking at putting together a box with an AN19E Stealth2 motherboard (VIA
> KT-400 chipset), with at least 512MB PC2700 DDR memory.  I'm assuming this is
> a good foundation to build from for video encoding (although please correct
> me if I'm wrong).

I wonder if VIA managed to sort out the PCI problems with the newer
chipsets. I have an ASUS K7V266A with the VIA KT-266A chipset and the
PCI performance just sucks. It will crash rather reliably if I try to
use the TV Card, Soundcard and Disk Busmaster DMA at the same time.

I really would like to recommend AMD, but for serious work I'll have to
recommend Intel instead...

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits