[MPlayer-users] mencoder -ofps 23.98

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jan 9 01:06:23 CET 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 10:50:23PM +0100, Sander Smeenk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just an idea ...
> As we all know, most xvid / divx releases have 23.98 fps video.
>
> While encoding a DVD to xvid with -ofps 23.98 specified, is it really
> necsessary for mencoder to print "skip frame!!!" when it's quite obvious
> it will skip frames when the specified -ofps and the input fps differ?

If you're getting more than 2 or 3 skipped frames, it probably means
you picked the WRONG -ofps value, so it's good that it's printing
them. BTW the correct value for inverse telecine is 23.976, not 23.98.
Shouldn't make too much difference though. But if you're getting lots
of skipped frames with that, it's very possible that the movie is NOT
telecined but rather full NTSC (29.97) or PAL (25) framerate. For
example, US television shows converted to DVD will really be 29.97 fps
and you should not use -ofps with them like you would with a
theatrical movie converted to NTSC.

Rich