[MPlayer-users] Hardware question

Daniel Callahan python at eclectic-cheval.net
Wed Jan 8 22:10:29 CET 2003

I'm looking at putting together a box with an AN19E Stealth2 motherboard (VIA
KT-400 chipset), with at least 512MB PC2700 DDR memory.  I'm assuming this is
a good foundation to build from for video encoding (although please correct
me if I'm wrong).

Question is:  what minimum Athlon processor do I need to reliably encode
full-screen video from tape?  Basically, my project is back up my entire PBS
'Doctor Who' collection before the original VHS tapes finally die (since many
are over 15 years old, they should be soon).  I don't have a lot of $ to
spend, so I need to get the right hardware the first time.

So any comments/critiques on this setup are welcome as are recommendations on
processors.

Thanks!
Daniel.

PS.  Need it be explicity stated:  I'll be using Linux.  I only keep Windows
around for my daughter's 'Bob the Builder' game.
--
"Bash forehead on any key to continue..."
t-shirts still available for $15

"Success doesn't compile itself and arrive as a binary pre-packaged for your
OS on a free CD that's been mailed to you by God.  Unless you do the work,
you don't get it."

6,000+ ebooks free at http://www.gutenberg.net