[MPlayer-users] Reducing the size of movie

Anders Rune Jensen anders at gnulinux.dk
Wed Jan 8 01:39:43 CET 2003

Jose Romildo Malaquias <romildo at uber.com.br> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I have recorded a movie from my TV card using mencode
> using the command line
>
> mencoder \
>     -tv on:driver=v4l:device=/dev/video0:norm=palm:width=640:height=480:chanlist=us-cable:channel=9 \
>     -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=6000 \
>     -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=96 \
>     -o mymovie.avi
>
> and finished with a file of 4805436474 bytes. Now I want to

That a quite big file. It seems you have allready compressed the audio
so you can just copy that when you encode.

You need to determine a bitrate for your encoding, you have to use
the lenth for that.

(video_bitrate (kbit/s) + audio_bitrate (kbit/s)) * length (s) /8 =
700.000 KB

then just run mencoder with something like this:

mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=x:<other
options>:vpass=1 -o /dev/null

mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=x:<other
options>:vpass=2 -o tv-rip.avi

Look in the doc. for these other options and read
DOCS/tech/libavcodec-options.txt

--
Anders Rune Jensen