[MPlayer-users] Re: dvd jerky playback and a/v sync problems

Michael Waters stonin at rogers.com
Tue Jan 7 18:30:15 CET 2003

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 16:06 +0100, Andrea Borgia wrote:
> I'm having some problems playing DVDs, even with 0.90rc2:
>
> - - playback is not perfectly smooth on pc, regardless of output driver
> (tried x11, mga and xmga), but is fine on rmh/dxr3 external output.

I don't have a hardware dvd card but I notice intermittent slightly
choppy playback of dvds too.  It seems to happen during high motion
scenes and when the camera pans a lot.  DMA is on and -vo or -nosound
don't seem to make much difference.  If I try ogle or xine, playback is
smooth.  It's odd because if I encode with mencoder, the encoded file
is very smooth and all the choppiness is gone.

> - - a/v out of sync of about 100ms ("French kiss", region 1, about +100;
> "Original sin", region 2, about -100) on pc. Delay seems to grow as the
> movie goes on, requiring further adjustments (200ms at the end of movie).

I see this too but the delay seems a constant 200ms to me.  I just use
-delay.

Michael