[MPlayer-users] a newbie question

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Tue Jan 7 09:13:14 CET 2003

On 03.01.07 Qian Gong pressed the following keys:

> I am trying to optimize my system for mplayer(0.90rc2). But the results
> are not satisfying during full screen playing xvid movies. Frame dropping
> can not be avoided. Sound and video are easily out of phase.
>
> Hardware info: KT133A/686A chipset, VIA on board sound, Athlon 1GHz, 256MB
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> RAM, NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 M64 video card.
>
> Driver info: kernel 2.4.20, nvidia driver 1.0-4191, via82cxxx_audio
> driver built in the kernel.
>
> Results: the number of dropping frames keeps on increasing during full screen
> playing. But if with option -nosound, this number is alway 0. Small
> (original) size play goes very well.

Probably the via onboard sound. Some time ago I used this same chipset
and I've had serious problems with choping/freezing sound while copying
files from cdrom to hdd.

The problems were present regardless of me using Windows or Linux, so I
suppose that this chipset has some real i/o bandwith issues.

Robert

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35