[MPlayer-users] Audio CDs

Frederick Bruckman fredb at immanent.net
Tue Jan 7 05:19:25 CET 2003

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:

> As I understand it Mplayer is supposed to play audio CDs (yes, I see the docs recommend XMMS but I want to use Mplayer - or at least try it <G>).
> How do I do play an audio CD.  I've read the docs, man pages and tried various command lines.

1) Build against cdparanoia. It's detected automatically if installed
to the same destination as mplayer, otherwise see the help for
configure...

2) Then

	mplayer cdda://3 -cache 1024

will play only the second track,

 	mplayer cddb://1- -cache 1024

will, if connected to the internet, look up and display the title of
the CD and song titles, then play the whole CD beginning with track 1.
The body of the URL is the "span" in the cdparanoia man page. You can
specify tracks, ranges of tracks or time specs.

Find cdparanoia at

	 http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/download/

Regards,

Frederick