[MPlayer-users] Re: Again on 5.1 vorbis encoding

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Mon Jan 6 16:52:02 CET 2003

On 03.01.06 gabor pressed the following keys:

> > Smaller files! Extrapolating your other results it looks like q=0
> > might be smaller than the ac3. I find q=0 quite adequate for video
> > sound. Try it and see what you think.
>
> i normally use q=0 when encoding the audio (from a movie ) into
> stereo-ogg... it produces an around 64kbit/s ogg stream, and the quality
> is enough...

Enough: better than mp3 at 96, usually better than mp3 at 128.

As long as you resample it to 44100. For some reason 48000 encoded with
vorbis sounds much worse than this same file resampled to 44100.

I'm very pleased with vorbis sound for movies. I sometimes encode movies
with -q1 (~80kbps) main track and -q-1 (~48kbps) track with director's
comments which still sounds great. (better than most dvdrips with mp3
sound).

Robert

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35