[MPlayer-users] Re: Doc's Suggestion

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sun Jan 5 17:22:09 CET 2003

On Saturday, 04 January 2003, Gerhard Strangar wrote:

> "Dean S. Messing" wrote:
>
> > Frankly, I'd love to see the comprehensive documentation written
> > up in "texinfo" format so that "info" pages could be generated
> > a la gcc, emacs, and a hundred other linux subsytems.  No GUI
> > web browsers necessary  Light fast, easily editable.
>
> This would reqiure a viewer for that format to be installed. That's
> nonsense - IMHO. A good documentation has to be readable without any
> additional tools. I'd like to have a man page that can be viewed by
> using *any* nroff (not only the GNU one). I don't like Proprietary
> formats.

What proprietary formats? texinfo is a fairly old, standard GNU docs
format. In fact, for many GNU tools, the texinfo docs are far more complete
than the corresponding man pages. Right now, I have almost 50 packages
with texinfo docs, including gcc, glibc, util-linux and cvs.

PS. I recommend pinfo for browsing texinfo docs.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://www.piorunek.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/