[MPlayer-users] How to update/refresh codecs.conf?

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat Jan 4 22:09:52 CET 2003

marko faas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have spend almost all the night reading de FAQs and this list on how
> to get Mplayer to recognise the Divx-libs I have installed.
>
> In the FAQ it almost everywhere says update/refresh your codecs.conf but
> it doesn't say HOW.
>
> I tried ldconfig and made sure the paths to the libs are in the right
> files, but still no sign of win32 or divx in codecs.conf.
> I deleted the ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf so it would use only the
> /etc/codecs.conf
>
> I tried to ./configure the Xmas-version of Mplayer, but it kept giving
> me sooo much warnings and errors (png, gtk etc, while I have that all
> installed, including the devel-packages)
>
> In the end I reinstalled the rmp of 0.90rc3 that Suse 8.1 provided, but,
> as said, it doesn't recognises Divx :-(
>
> So, please help me by telling what I am doing wrong here and/or what I
> should do (edit or run) to get Mplayer recognise Divx.
>
> Thanks!

1. codecs.conf is included in the mplayer source
(/path/to/source/etc/codecs.conf). You just need to copy that file into
~/.mplayer and overwrite the existing one.

2. The best library for decoding DivX is libavcodec, the source of which
is included in release versions. If you build from a release tarball,
libavcodec will be installed too.

3. If you have lots of problems with ./configure, post the output to
this mailing list.

-Corey