[MPlayer-users] BUG with -vop pp=help

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jan 3 04:56:26 CET 2003

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 12:31:34AM +0100, Filip Kalinski wrote:
> Dnia Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 04:58:33PM -0500, D Richard Felker III  co nast?puje:
> > On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 10:27:04PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > > Hi,

> > > yes, it's a known issue. there was a discussion on -dev-eng list few months
> > > ago. the problem is that libpostproc should be mplayer-independent so it
> > > cannot exit mplayer cleanly (calling exit_player()) and if getch2() was
> > > inited before then console will remain unusable.
> > >
> > > there was no better (and acceptable) solution, so we left it as is.
> >
> > IMO the solution is to remove pp=help and put the info in the man
> > page. The whole thing is nonsense as-is.
> >

> The other solution could be providing exit_hook() function varaiable which
> would be initialy NULL, and could be set to some library user function
> ,in our case exit_player(). Before exiting it would be checked if it is
> not null and then executed.

It's still ridiculous to have to load the pp filter with a dummy movie
to get help on postprocessing. Even if we do want to use the
helpmessage printing in the postproc code rather than proper docs in
the man page, it should be something like "mplayer -pphelp" rather
than "mplayer -vop pp=help dummy.avi"...

Rich