[MPlayer-users] Re: recomended components for mplayer

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jan 3 00:18:02 CET 2003

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 11:44:21PM +0100, gabor farkas wrote:

> > Unfortunately though, almost all new computers these days from Dell and Gateway esp,
> > ship with the Geforce NVidia class video cards in them, meaning that when the average
> > Joe buys a computer, he won't get the best performance with mplayer out-of-the-box.
> >
> > It's too bad NVidia won't release the code to their drivers :o(( They've managed to
> > corner the game market however, like Microshaft has done. So they can just do
> > whatever they want since they sell them hand over fist!
>
> <flame>
> pliizz... can we stop this nvidia bashing ? :-)

No. The nvidia bashing will not stop until their harmful practices
stop.

> yes, i'd love if nvidia would release the driver sources
> yes, i know i can buy an ati or a matrox card.
> yes, for watching movies i'd buy a matrox card.
> no, i won't buy an ati or a matrox card, because sometimes i want to
> play some 3d games, and there aren't any open-source drivers with fast
> 3d performance for fast 3d cards ( by fast cards i mean geforce3+,
> ati8500+, matrox parhelia+ )...

Arrg, wtf is the point, are you playing the stupid games on linux
anyway?? If you're dual booting you'd be much better off to use the
sorry nvidia box for doze and get a nice cheap k6 or duron with a g200
or g400 for linux.

> and btw. look at the new/fast ati or matrox cards ( 8500, 9700, parhelia
> )... they ONLY offer binary drivers :-))
> </flame>

Parhelia isn't even fast, it just totally sucks. And yes it's bad that
they dont have drivers. However they usually don't get the flames
because they were friendly to free software in the past and because
they're not dominating the market.

Rich