[MPlayer-users] two trials/dvd replay much too slow

Daniel Heiserer danielheiserer at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 1 14:48:02 CET 2003

Hi,
I tried to play a dvd movie
(mplayer0.90pre9-2.95.3/SuSe-Linux-7.3-prof):
"gmplayer -dvd 1". There are some things which trouble
me:
0) many times when I just try to play something
mplayer cannot open "/dev/dsp"/audio device. So I have
no sound. Sometimes it works. I do not understand this
as xmms always works (maybe it takes a minute to
start,
but it works)
1) The first attempt for playing a dvd results in a
play mode which does not play (black screen, no
sound).
When I advance using the slider or the ">" buttons
mplayer advances to that "scene" but again no playback
no video.
2) The second attempt works seemlessly :-??????
3) The video replay, if it works is much too SLOW.
I guess I get about 2 frames per second. This is
horrible. I have a gericom fx5 notebook, PIV-1800Mhz
with nvidia geforce420go32M. The accelerated drivers
give me 200fps with "gears". (slow I know).

Can anybody help me?

Thanks, daniel