[MPlayer-users] Re: MPlayer : ISMA Compatibility??

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Feb 26 19:16:36 CET 2003

> > Pls someone tell me about the ISMA ver1.1
> > compatibility of Mplayer. Whether the player is
> > compatible with ISMA Ver1.1 standard?. It is a bit
> > urgent. Pls reply at the earliest.
>
>WTF is ISMA ?

ISMA - the "Internet Streaming Media Alliance" - <http://www.isma.tv> is
yet another of these grandiose industry consortia pretending to be a
standards organization.  In reality, what they do is give their 'blessing'
to a set of MPEG and IETF standards (MPEG and IETF being the *real*
standards organization here).

In this case, the standards they've blessed are certain subsets of MPEG-4
audio/video, delivered via RTSP and RTP (using particular payload formats).

The good news is that MPlayer (with the LIVE.COM Streaming Media libraries)
will be able to play these streams Real Soon Now.  Stay tuned; I'll be
sending an announcement to this list when this is ready.

         Ross Finlayson
         LIVE.COM