[MPlayer-users] Playing afs streams

Lars Boegild Thomsen lth at cow.dk
Tue Feb 25 03:56:19 CET 2003

Hi Everybody,

First post to this list I must admit.  I've been struggling for a while with
a few annoying problems that is located in either ffmpeg and/or in
mplayer/mencoder.  I've already asked on the ffmpeg mailing list to no
avail.  Anywhere here we go.

I am streaming a live video feed using ffserver from the ffmpeg package.  I
am streaming the same stream in both AVI and ASF format since I need to have
the streams available live as well as save periodically to files.  Just for
info the setup of the two streams are as follows:

<Stream video0.asf>
Feed feed0.ffm
Format asf_stream
VideoFrameRate 24
VideoSize 352x240
VideoGopSize 6
VideoHighQuality
VideoQMax 10
VideoQMin 1
VideoBitRate 460
AudioBitRate 32
VideoCodec wmv1
AudioCodec mp3
Preroll 10
</Stream>

<Stream video0.avi>
Feed feed0.ffm
Format avi
VideoFrameRate 24
VideoSize 352x240
VideoGopSize 6
VideoHighQuality
VideoQMax 10
VideoQMin 1
VideoBitRate 460
AudioBitRate 32
VideoCodec wmv1
AudioCodec mp3
Preroll 10
</Stream>

Well - as could be expected Windows Media Player cannot play the AVI stream
live (that I've read somewhere else), but play the ASF stream just fine.

Things get spooky with MPlayer since that plays the AVI Stream just fine,
but refuses to play the ASF stream.

Now, in my situation I primarily need mencoder to do the periodic save of
the capture.  I imagined saving in 5 minute segments using something like:

mencoder -frames 7224 -forceidx -ovc copy -oac copy
http://localhost:8090/video0.avi capture1.avi

Works ok but leads to a serious memoryleak in ffserver :(  Trying:

mencoder -frames 7224 -forceidx -ovc copy -oac copy
http://localhost:8090/video0.asf capture1.avi

Leads to the following:

MEncoder 0.90rc4-2.95.4 (C) 2000-2003 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)

CPU: Advanced Micro Devices  (Family: 6, Stepping: 0)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
MMX2 supported but disabled
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 0 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
Reading /home/capture/.mplayer/mencoder_codecs.conf: can't open
'/home/capture/.mplayer/mencoder_codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Reading /etc/mplayer/mencoder_codecs.conf: 50 audio & 135 video codecs
File not found: 'frameno.avi'
Reading config file /home/capture/.mplayer/mencoder: No such file or
directory
Resolving localhost ...
Connecting to server localhost[127.0.0.1]:8090 ...
Resolving localhost ...
Connecting to server localhost[127.0.0.1]:8090 ...
Connected to server: localhost
success: format: 6  data: 0x0 - 0x0
============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported
=============
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author!
===
Cannot open demuxer.
Exiting...

Well, it tells me to contact the author.  I hope he reads this :)

Regards,

    Lars...

--
Lars Boegild Thomsen