[MPlayer-users] RE: 16:9 format usage

Danny Poulsen danny.poulsen at email.dk
Mon Feb 24 18:23:02 CET 2003

> > Is it me who misunderstand the aspect option or what? I've got a
> > 16:9 tv and I'm trying show the movies in the right format on this.
>
> Setting the aspect counter intuitively to 4:3 (-aspect 4:3) should
> give you correct aspect on a widescreen TV when you play a 16:9 movie.

It is not that I get the wrong aspect, but I would like to change it! All
movies I've seen look right when using normal 4:3, but with the black bars.

> The only difference between a 4:3 analog video-signal and a 16:9
> analog video-signal is that the 16:9 signal is squashed. 4:3 and 16:9
> has, in most cases, the exact same horizontal and vertical
> resolution. Your TV stretches the image to fit the whole screen when
> you switch to widescreen.

Maybe :-) I agree with you. It can be that I mix things up here, but I think
of a 16:9 signal as meant to be shown on a 16:9 aspect screen. Thus it is
not squashed - I'd say opposite, vertical stretched. When expanded from 4:3
format to a 16:9 format it looks ok again. It might be that this is not 16:9
signal, but called widescreen?

At least on my DVD player I select whether I have a 16:9 or 4:3 screen. This
is actually what I seek. Maybe it is the DXR3 causing it?

/Danny