[MPlayer-users] MPlayer 0.90rc4, radeon 9000, MC, IDCT

Zbigniew Łuszpiński zbiggy at go2.pl
Sun Feb 23 23:47:06 CET 2003

Dnia nie 23. luty 2003 02:32, D Richard Felker III napisał:

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 10:55:11PM +0100, Zbigniew ?uszpi?ski wrote:
> > Hello !
> >
> > How should MPlayer be configured to use radeon's 9000 Motion Compensation
> > and IDCT ? Vidix uses only YUV conversion and hardware scalling.
>
> It can't, and won't be able to. They're not useful.

<g> It is useful for people who do not have Pentium 9 with 50 THz clock and
ExtraMMX7ProExtended, with 512 TB RAM and 3000 kW power supply. <g>

To be serious, I think that manfacturers of graphics chips and programmers of
well known DVD players for windows  would not waste time for implementing
hardware acceleration of idct and mc if  it was redundant. Hardware
acceleration of idct and mc can save procesing power of CPU which can br used
for e.g. DTS or AC3 decoding, picture post-processing, to lower power
consumption. IDCT and MC steals 60% of processing power of CPU that is why it
is accelerated by graphics chip. I know from radeon driver programmers that
writing idct and mc acceleration driver is very, very difficult. So I think
that in the future someone will face this task.

Zbigniew Łuszpiński