[MPlayer-users] MPlayer 0.90rc4, radeon 9000, MC, IDCT

Balatoni Denes pnis at coder.hu
Sun Feb 23 17:31:49 CET 2003

On 2003. február 23. 17:24, cm5oom at post.com wrote:
> that was no more nvidia propeganda then the other one
> and as far as i can tell the gatos driver does not
> support it, maybe because it is stupid.
>
> so now my question is why is it a "nonsensical useless feature" and how
> does video decoding work?
for total lamers in video coding (eg me a few days ago)
http://www.vcodex.fsnet.co.uk/resources.html
is perhaps usefull.
imho Richard meant that if your cpu is fast enough than hardware help  doesn't
matter much.
others mentioned that hardware mc/idct looks better for some reason (maybe
they interpolate/filter something somehow), others said it's nonsense.

bye
Denes

ps: I only saw a picture comparision between dxr3 and some (perhaps lame)
software decoded frame, and dxr3 was indeed nicer (well probably it was just
smoothed)