[MPlayer-users] playing DVD

Gabucino gabucino at mplayerhq.hu
Sun Feb 23 09:15:15 CET 2003

Luis.F.Correia wrote:
>    Dolby? Digital audio decoding to 5.1 speaker channels in analog or
> digital modes

> Of course this could be a 'sales pitch' and not actually true.
> But they say the card does decoding ... or should we say the drivers do it
> :) ?
Actually this is another meaning of the "decoding" word. It means that it
"decodes" the audio into "5.1 listenable" audio. E.g.: you can't
connect your SB PRO to an 5.1 analog system, because it can't "decode" the
5.1 sound. The SB Live! also can't. The SB Live! 5.1 can.

So if they wouldn't use 'sales pitch' style, they should have
written: The card can output 6 (5.1) channels sound.

--
Gabucino
MPlayer Core Team